In the early 60's when I was a child, out neighbors shared a party line.
One was always complaining that the other was on the phone too long - and
she was. Maybe her feet fell asleep too. When I went to college in the
early 70's - a small private college in my home town - I worked at the
school switchboard that had the wires and plugs that you had to answer the
phone and plug the caller into the the line they were calling. All calls
went through the switchboard. I also had to connect outgoing calls to
Atlanta on a separate 'Atlanta line'.
We also just had 4 or 5 number phone numbers. My grandparents in NC used 2
letters and 4 numbers in theirs. The letters referred to the district they
were in. All this in the 60's. I'm sure the larger towns were more modern
but the smaller towns were
"slow to get funding". Elizabeth in Ga