Hey Joe,

I always thought it was due to the technology, as you said.  Maybe the film
couldn't handle it, or it would prove too expensive to light the set
adequately.

Another thing along those lines you mentioned, is that some shows would shoot
without location sound.  So, if the Andy Griffith show was shooting at the 40
Acres lot, it's conceivable that they may have shot without sound and added
dialog later.  The Avengers (British 60s show) was, in its early 60s era, shot
without sound on location shoots.

There's one scene that comes to mind on TAGS.  Barney has been stood up by
Thelma Lou (and Gomer). Andy finds him at the courthouse, all dressed up with a
bag of fudge.  Together, they go out and check the doors, Barney sharing the
fudge with Andy.  There are a couple of lines that Barney says while he has his
mouth full of fudge, outside.
That makes me wonder if some of that dialog was added later.

Over and Under,
Clyde "Barn"