TAGS fans,
Okay, this isn't exactly TAGS-related, but I wonder if it is Andy Griffith
related. I've been reading through "The Complete Pogo" books from Fantagraphic
Books and from Oct 11 to Nov 1, 1959 the Sunday strips involved a typically
madcap story of the characters playing football. Unfortunately, they pop their
football early on and play the rest of the game with a pumpkin. Made me wonder
if it were in any way inspired by Andy's classic "What it was Was Football"
routine. Walt Kelly, artist responsible for Pogo, was known to be a big fan of
popular comedic albums, so I wouldn't be surprised if Andy's routine (which had
come out just the year before) led to Walt's strips.
Sam Whitedoctortuttle dot com