Thanks to everyone for their explanations about the word "sugar" - really
interesting. Especially enjoyed Michael's story.

Here's another question: I've always wondered about all those proverbs,
sayings, "incants", superstitions, and even food ("fish muddle"} that were
part of every story with the Darling Family. Were any of these really used
by the folks living up in the mountains way back when?  Or do they only
come from the imaginations of the writers?  Or maybe a little of both?

 Either way, I thought they added a lot of humor to those episodes.

JOE from G.I.