><script language="JavaScript">
><!--if (parent.location.href == self.location.href)
>   window.location.href = 'index.htm?main';
>//--></script>
>
>I understand the conditional first line.
>Index refers to the frameset page.  I thought that main was the name of
>the frame where the page should be loaded and that the ? would send  the
>page address to load to the frameset (index.htm) page.  What happens is
>that the default page for the main frame always loads.

As it should.  This example seems to use a parameter - 'main' - passed to
'index.htm' to determine the content.  I assume that you just want to load
a 'straight' HTML page.

You need something like
window.main.location.href="pagename.html"

where 'main' is the name of the frame and 'pagename.html' is the name of
the page to load into that frame.

Regards,
David