Siobhan,
  Are you working at 300ppi in photoshop?  If you start out with your canvas set to
300ppi (perhaps with the dimensions a little larger than you plan to export to) and
then export or save for web, you should get good crisp text regardless of what version
you are in, though 5.5 and beyond really do handle text better.

Stephen Caudill
Web Designer
Municipal Code Corporation
www.municode.com
www.mccimaging.com

<snip>
Does anyone have any tips for how to get really clear looking fonts in
images. I'm using optima bold 14 point and it looks okay but still fuzzy
around edges. I've played with crisp and smooth settings in photoshop
but no joy. It doesn't look bad per say just not great.
</snip>