At 11:36 AM 9/7/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>I've just received an email with a virus attached (Good old Norton
>squashed it as it came in!) but it appears to have come from an email
>address at a website that I run for our local church. Now this mail
>address isn't shown anywhere on the site - I just use it when I want to
>test anything out.
>
>Is there any way I can try and trace the perpetrator as this had a porn
>message - not the sort of thing the church is in to! - so I'd like to try
>and squash the senders mailbox. The address from which it was sent was
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] and there's no other info in header - but it did
>address me using a password I have for the system. Our clergyman and the
>church administrator rarely use the system other than to download emails
>(it was installed at the insistance of the bishop who is very computer
>literate and is bombarding everyone with e-mails etc!!! I've never had an
>email from there before (they get me to send them out for them as they are
>terrified of the PC - it's an age thing!)
>
>The church, by the way, also has Norton on it's system - I've seen to that
>long ago!
>
>Any ideas as to action to be taken?
>
>Peter MacGregor

Hi Peter,

This has happened to me a few times.  I had posted to the group and the
two general answers I got was that first of all, if you have any cgi forms on
your site/s that use formmail, change it over to a php form via email.

Secondly, visit SpamCop:  http://spamcop.net/  One thing about this is
read EVERYTHING and keep in mind that you must submit the offending email
w/in 3 days or you can't submit it, Spamcop won't take it after 3
days.  It's a
free service (paid version available also).

Deb