At 02:20 PM 9/30/2002 +1200, you wrote:
>Only caught this bit of the convo and not the snipped part so excuse me of
>off track.
>You can't format the drive that Windows resides on via Windows itself.
>If you can boot to CD then do so with your Windows CD in the drive -
>Windows will format and set-up Windows for you. Sounds like a
>contradiction to my opening bit but this way runs off the CD and from some
>temp disk space.
>
>Jay

I have booted with the Windows cd in the drive, go to an A prompt
and wind up with the same error msg as when I try to format w/the floppy
in the drive.  (bad command or file name)

I have recopied format.com to the cd off the original machine, but
format.com is not showing up in the "dir" list after I do a "dir" command.

I have now tried this with 2 different Windows cd's one regular Win98
the other Win98SE, same results both times.

Clarification please:  you say if I just run Windows setup that it will
reformat for me ??  Uhhh, that will just reinstall windows as this is not
a restore disk version of Windows like you get when you buy some
computers, this unfortunately doesn't have a restore disk or my life
would be alot easier right now <G>

Deb