MOU,
  You will need to create an animation as a "movie clip" instance for each of the
states (up, over, down).  After which you create a new instance with the behavior
"button". In each of the four frames (up, over, down, hit) you will drag the
corresponding movie clip from the library in which the movie clip instances are
stored(a rectangle roughly the size of the button will suffice for the "hit" area).
This should give you the desired effect.  re: if you want detailed instructions.

HTH,
Stephen