Hi All,

I am being hit by a new type of spam. This press release will explain
it better than I can

<snip>

Spam and pop-up ads have been combined in an unholy alliance because
a bulk-mail spam developer has figured out how to
transmit pop-up spam directly to PCs through a messaging function
found in Windows.

The function was designed for use by computer network technicians to
communicate. However, anyone can send the
messages and there's no need for the user to have an internet browser
open.

Gary Flynn, a security engineer at james Madison University, where
several messages were received, says the technique is
worse than email spam. "This pops up on the screen," he said. "It's
almost like somebody barging into your office and
interrupting you."

</snip>

This is so intrusive as unlike email spam where you have a chance of
deleting it before you see it this pops up in the middle of your
screen covering whatever you are looking at.

I have Googled (will that word be in the dictionary soon ?) but as
yet cant find a way of turning the wretched thing off.  Any ideas
anyone.

regards

melanie

To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To: mailto:wdvltalk-join@;lists.wdvl.com