For what I was doing there [ http://www.mediation.co.uk/dev_snb/index1.html
] - the advantage of layers is the fact that you get absolute positioning.
You're specifying where those images/text on the layers are going to wind
up - when they will appear/disappear, and knowing that's where it's going
to be when they're viewed at the other end... Seven layers at the moment -
so plenty of examples of what the HTML looks like!  Plus I know that this
particular client's going to be doing a 'Can you just...?' on that front
page several times over, & layers are easier to shift about than having to
redo a large image in Photoshop. Oh, and it's not as costly on filesize as
Flash...
[With another hat on,I run the research side here, so sometimes spend a lot
of my time looking for 'skip intro' button on other people's sites]

The alternative for me would be doing the page as a large image in
Photoshop, sorting the layers out within that program, slicing it up in
Image Ready which is linked to Photoshop... which gives you an end result
of a lot of images as blocks which the program assembles based on tables
...which are a pig to modify. But that aside I love Photoshop...6 years
down the line from first buying it would still cheerfully spend hours
relaxing with it on graphics just for fun... a fact which means everyone in
not only my own but our partner companies exploit when they want a
presentation image put together at short notice.

I did our company site's What's New page [
http://www.mediation.co.uk/Projects.html ]  with Golive ages ago - that
application gave you the impression of absolute flexibility, but in fact
the way it operates using tables, it's a total pain, and so the page bugs
me every time I update it - This is a page that's crying out for absolute
positioning rather than tables.... so **when** I get a free weekend with
nothing that's fee-paying to do, no content to write, no research & no
module deadline on by part-time MSc looming, I'm going to re-do it in
layers... Yeah, that was my New Year resolution last year too - ye olde
cobbler's Children syndrome...

I learnt HTML in '94 while back at university by taking apart other
people's pages - & tho I'd not be without an authoring program now for
speed, getting 'under the hood' is still the best way to sort out the
problems. Go for it, Sherry!

Franni