----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Haworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > The <br> is the line break, and it is NOT deprecated.
>
> It's gone for good in XHTML 2 - instead of doing
[...]
>   <l>"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!</l>
[...]
> The idea is that *lines* are structural, whereas line *breaks* are
> presentational: a subtle but important distinction.
>
> Cheers
> Jon

Initially I had a *what the heck*? reaction to that, so I went to W3, to
look up on it. And it certainly does look like they plan to replace br, but
how do they expect it to be backwards compatable in older browsers then, I
wonder? Wouldn't the poem done with <l></l> look like a big chunk of text
then?  Not to start off another "Version 4 browsers are going to be dead"
debate. ;-) It's just curious.

And I'm not panicking at this point, as it appears XHTML 2 is a ways from
being hammered out. As far as it goes, the <l> looks like a good idea, but
I'm not sure how quickly we're going to see a change over to it.

To save anyone else from hunting it down, here's the link where I found it
explained:

 http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-text.html#sec_8.10.

Ali