well said Tim! BTW, I'm a she:)

On 29 Jan 2003 at 9:26, Furry, Tim wrote:

Sherry wrote:
We've now lost most of the images we tried to archive but in the future
I guess we'll just have to put a few on each CD-R.  I think we're just
not used to thinking in terms of using a huge storage capacity for one
or two relatively small items and letting the rest of the disk go to
waste. That is what happens when you use a CD-R, correct?

I'm wondering if my New England soul doesn't have to readjust from the
notion of "waste" being a crime. It seems so wasteful to use such a
small space on a CD-R. On the other hand, what's more wasteful than a
defective CD-ROM.

Sio suggested:
In terms of CDR versus CDRW... I usually use CDRs for backups and
for some reason like the fact that I can't write over them. Weird, yes,
suppose.

Also, have you considered trying out leaving a CDR session open and
then adding data to the CD? That might be a viable option.

Tim adds:
Sherry, if you leave the CD session "open" (you can select that in the
burn software), you can add stuff to it later.  It will only be readable
by PCs until the session is closed (usually only a problem if you're
saving music and want to listen to it).  Each time you add new files to
the CD, you'll take about a 13MB hit as it writes a new table of
contents combining the old and new stuff; but on a CDR that has about
750MB, that's not too bad...and I've done it a lot.  Even if you're only
archiving 1MB or so each time, you can still have about 45 sessions on
one CD - you could probably fit a year's worth of newsletters on one
this way; just keep adding to the session and close it when it gets full
or you've reached a nice place (say, like six months' worth or so).

I agree with Sio about liking that he can't write over them - it's nice
to know the "archive" is truly an archive.  The lab I used to work for
jumped on CDR technology early because it was a way we could guarantee
the regulatory government bodies that the data we were producing was
"unchangeable" by the customer - they couldn't fake the results our lab
tests generated.  It also let us put numerical data files, tracking
logs, and video all on the same media.  Pretty cool.

So let not your New England soul worry about waste - one 50-cent CDR can
still hold a year's worth of newsletters.  :-)  With room left over for
duck pictures.  And be way more stable than CDRW to boot - although, for
Murphy's sake, I'd probably make two of them.

Tim
Tim Furry
Web Developer
Foulston Siefkin LLP