I use Jasc's Animation Studio (comes with Paint Shop Pro), and it works quite well. You can download an evaluation version that's fully functional, and won't put anything extra into your gif.

http://www.jasc.com

Dave Sebaste wrote:
Hi Friends,

I made this cute little Flash movie that works just fine... then realized it
was really overkill, and an animated GIF would do the job equally well, and
much more efficiently. I haven't messed with animated GIFs in quite some
time, so I started looking at my array of tools.

I have a downloaded shareware program that, until purchased, puts a
watermark in the midst of your image. I also have Photoshop, Illustrator,
FreeHand, CorelDraw, PhotoDraw and Flash, but it seems none of these do an
effective job at creating an animated GIF... even if I already have the two
GIF files that just need to be sequenced. One of the problems is that I want
to designate the background color of the GIF as being transparent. Some of
these programs support transparency in GIFs, but I can't figure out how to
designate the transparent color.

Am I missing something here? Any help?  From vaguely recalled previous
experiences, it shouldn't be this difficult!

TIA,

Dave

Dave Sebaste
Sebaste Studio and