From: Jon Haworth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 6:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [wdvltalk] Re: MS SQL help

Hi Cheryl,

> I've got MS SQL 2000 available but I know absolutely nothing about
> permissions, creating databases on my local SQL server (2000) and
> transferring the databases, etc. to the domain host's MS SQL server
> (SQL 7).

Sorry, I'm a bit late on this thread...

Setting up privileges isn't that difficult: you can right-click on an object
(a table, stored procedure, or whatever) and click the "Permissions" button
to edit who can do what with that object - if your app is *really*
well-designed, your web user can get away with having nothing apart from
"Execute" for stored procedures :-)

If you have lots of users, you can set up groups just like you can in NT
account management. You do this through the Logins applet, which you'll find
in the Security folder - double-click on a user and then open the Database
Access tab. From here you can control which users can access which
databases, and which groups they are in. Ideally, stick everyone who only
needs basic access into the "Public" group and then assign permissions to
that group rather than to individual users.

Creating databases is even easier:
- open the "Action" menu
- select "New database..."
- type a name
- click OK

As your host is running an earlier version, you may need to use a different
compatibility level - MS SQL 2000 defaults to level 80, but I think version
7 uses 70 (you might want to check this though). You can change this by
right-clicking on your newly created database, selecting "Properties" and
opening the Options tab.

You're probably best off asking your host about the best way to upload a
database - you can have Enterprise Manager write a script that contains all
the SQL statements necessary to rebuild your database structure, but I
haven't worked out how to include data in that as well :-(

Sorry this was long, but hope it helped a bit.

Cheers
Jon

____ . The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM . ____ To Join wdvltalk, Send
An Email To: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Send Your Posts To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To change subscription
settings to the wdvltalk digest version:

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To
unsubscribe send a blank email to %%email.unsub%%