As far as I know,

Marketing :

This is what you do to prepare your future prospects
into a state of mind, where, when the need arises for them
to purchase a product or service similar to yours, they will
consider YOU as the best possible solution to their problem.

The above concept also crosses the thin line into the realm
of "Branding".

Most difficult part of the process.

Sales:

When you do the actual selling - the transaction.
Accept payment, Deliver product. Going after prospects,
and converting them into buyers - using a million and one
sales techniques.

This is the second most difficult part of the whole process - because
this is where you gotta make your customer reach for his/her
precious wallet.

Business Development:

This is what you do to generate "leads" - a.k.a highly targeted,
ripe, and ready-to-buy prospective customers.

This is the MOST difficult part.

You need to be a great networker, have lots of contacts,
be a very suave business person, well known in your circle,
must've been around, etc.

These are the guys who get paid the most in any business.

This is not an exhaustive explanation, but hope this helps.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Ravi Jayagopal
Founder & Software Architect