As far as I understand, your problem does not come from JS but from IE.
IE by default won't print bg colors.
Go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Printing>Print Background Colors
and Images

Now as to why IE's print and NN's print are not the same (i.e. they do
not print the nav bar correctly), I cannot really help. Maybe sending in
the URL would help.

Paul