I've been getting bounces containing this WORM_SOBIG.F (that's
what Trend Micro's newest SIG named it) since early this morning.
Nearly 70 so far!  Every single one of them come to me with one
of five unique addresses in the "From:" field of the bounced
message.

Here's what leads me to believe that an email harvesting ebot is
responsible for spreading this worm (BTW, I haven't read this
theory anywhere else on the Internet, yet.)

I own or maintain over a dozen different domains.  In nearly all
of these sites, I use a 'cloaker' to encode the "Mailto" links
and addresses.  All but one, that is...

On one of these sites, around four years ago, I set up a site for
a local band inside its own folder.  In this site, I created five
separate 'bio' pages - one for each band member.  On each of these
pages, I added a 'Mailto' link to a unique address I created on
the domain for that band member.  These five unique addresses do
not go to mailboxes - they each forward to the band member's
actual email address.

OK, now the five email addresses exist in only one place on the
Internet, or anywhere else as far as I know - on the aforementioned
pages.  When I 'cloaked' the "Mailto's" on all my sites, I forgot
these five as I hadn't updated the site in over two years (it's a
"free gratis" site that isn't visited much.)  I have, since this
fiasco, now encoded the addresses with an email cloaker.  Anyone
interested in the cloaker is welcome to grab the code free from
http://www.internet-marketing-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2316
where I have it posted in a message.  It's a simple HTML page
containing a javascript encoder that also works for URLs.

So, what do you think?  Is an email address harvesting ebot running
rampant, grabbing uncloaked addresses from web pages, placing them
into the "From:" fields and sending this worm out to other addresses?
Do the bounces all of you are receiving contain addresses in the
"From:" field that exist in 'uncloaked' format on web pages?

Just throwing out some ideas to hash about and hopefully, help
others in preventing this from escalating.

Cheers,
Tom Fosson
Let me give you a free ISP business to compliment you own!
     http://www.seventhpower.biz/simple/?userid=31637
You never have to pay a penny!  Everything supplied Free!

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.