On Saturday, August 23, 2003, 6:03:23 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] commented:

cwc> It works well enough on IE 6.  The question is why would you want
cwc> something like that on your site; especially before your menu?

cwc> Just wondering,
cwc> Will Stewart

Because the customization for look and feel is going to be
very popular among our users, but they aren't going to be
able to find it unless it is very prominent.  So it needs to
be near the top and very obvious.  The alternative might be
a "customize" button that leads to another page, but I'm
thinking our users will prefer seeing it on the home page.

-Abigail

cwc> -----Original Message-----
cwc> From: Abigail Marshall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc> Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 4:04 PM
cwc> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc> Subject: [wdvltalk] SSI browser sniffing

cwc> On Saturday, August 23, 2003, 5:42:44 AM, rudy commented:

>>> What browser are you using? That's caused by an SSI browser
>>> sniffer that doesn't work so well -- (sorry - I forgot that I
>>> had it in there)

r>> windows internet explorer 6 (specifically 6.0.2800.1106 with all
cwc> patches)

r>> you're right about your browser sniffer not working so well  ;o)

cwc> OK, I think I've fixed it (kind of).  At least it seems to
cwc> work in IE 5.5 now, maybe you could check it in IE6.:

cwc> http://www.dyslexia.com/build/

cwc> [I have IE6 running on a separate computer than the IE5.5
cwc> one, my laptop - but my laptop has been hijacked by my
cwc> daughter and I don't feel like running into her room to get
cwc> it.]

cwc> What I did was basically really simplify the code, so at
cwc> this point the 2-part color changing/font changing form
cwc> should show up in IE 4+, Netscape with Gecko (6 + ?), and
cwc> Opera - and in anything else, you would only get a single,
cwc> smaller "color changing" form. (The new one sets different
cwc> styles, using a cookie to retain settings throughout the
cwc> site, whereas the old one simply changes background color)

cwc> For what it's worth, here's my current browser sniffing
cwc> code. What it does is basically give two options, one that
cwc> is invoked only with newer CSS compliant browsers.

cwc> (I had a really difficult time finding anything like this on
cwc> the internet - the one I did find was obviously too complex
cwc> and didn't work - so if this passes muster I'll go ahead and
cwc> post this somewhere so others can use it).

cwc> -Abigail

cwc> SSI browser sniffing code;

cwc> <!--#if expr="${HTTP_USER_AGENT} = /MSIE [4-9]/" -->
cwc>       <!--#set var="isDOM" value="true" -->
cwc> <!--#endif -->

cwc> <!--#if expr="${HTTP_USER_AGENT} = /Gecko/" -->
cwc>                 <!--#set var="isDOM" value="true" -->
cwc>         <!--#endif -->

cwc> <!--#if expr="${HTTP_USER_AGENT} = /Opera/" -->
cwc>         <!--#set var="isDOM" value="true" -->
cwc> <!--#endif -->

cwc> <!--#if expr="(!${isDOM})" -->
cwc>         <!--#set var="isHTM3" value="true" -->
cwc> <!--#endif -->

cwc> <!--#if expr="${isHTM3}" -->
cwc> <!--#include virtual="/ssi/colorform.html" -->

cwc>  <!--#elif expr="${isDOM}" -->
cwc>            <!--#include virtual="/ssi/changecolor.html" -->
cwc>            <!--#include virtual="/ssi/changefont.html" -->
cwc> <!--#endif -->
cwc> <!--#endif -->

cwc> <!--#if expr="(!${isDOM})" -->
cwc>         <!--#set var="isHTM3" value="true" -->
cwc> <!--#endif -->

cwc> <!--#if expr="${isHTM3}" -->
cwc> <!--#include virtual="/ssi/colorform.html" -->

cwc>  <!--#elif expr="${isDOM}" -->
cwc> <!--#include virtual="/ssi/changecolor.html" -->
cwc> <!--#include virtual="/ssi/changefont.html" -->

cwc>         <!--#endif -->
cwc> <!--#endif -->

cwc> ____ . The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM . ____
cwc> To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc>        Send Your Posts To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc> To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
cwc> the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.
cwc> To change subscription settings to the wdvltalk digest version:
cwc>     http://wdvl.internet.com/WDVL/Forum/#sub

cwc> ________________  http://www.wdvl.com  _______________________

cwc> You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
cwc> %%email.unsub%%

cwc> ____ • The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM • ____
cwc> To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc>        Send Your Posts To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc> To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words:
"set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.
cwc> To change subscription settings to the wdvltalk digest version:
cwc>     http://wdvl.internet.com/WDVL/Forum/#sub

cwc> You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cwc> To unsubscribe send a blank email to %%email.unsub%%

-Abigail