Joseph Harris said the following on 9/12/2003 8:53 AM>>

Is Gentoo OK for beginners too? LILO I see is one for switching OSs. I am not quite clear what 'dual boot' means in practical terms; is that where the basic OS offers a choice?

definitely not. It took me atleast a week to setup my laptop with all hardware functioning and X running with Gentoo.

I realise that, as you say, Linux has equivalent programs written for it and
I suppose the main cross-OS WP is Word Perfect, which I like but had to
abandon as I was getting problems.   So most of my work is in WordPro97, one
that seems not to translate to any other WP format.   Changing that work
into a new system would be - let us say - murder!   (or extraordinarily
expensive)   Would Wine be able to handle that prog (and I might
progressively then move them all to Word Perfect)?

There are, too, things like Photoshop and a whole bundle of Serif which I
would have to continue to use.   I find Hot Dog most suited to my working
method (issue 5.5) but suppose I could train myself to any web page writer.
But there are also e-books which must be accessible to the most popular
readers and .exe makers.   If this is practically easy I have nothing to
worry about.   Are there any flaws I should be prepared for?

at present, I use vmware (www.vmware.org) for dual OS. Using it, I run w2k over linux and all programs that run on w2k works fine. With wine, not every program runs on linux and also the setup process is very complex ( as I heard, never tried it). with vmware, I never reboot my pc and use linux for my perosnal work where as windows for work and enabling samba on linux also gives me access while in windows to files residing on linux partition .

HTH

R'twick

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.