Hi,

> On this page, http://www.spectrumvt.org/index3.html I have a
> large amount of blank space above the initial code.  Why is this
> happening?  I really want to understand as much as fix it.

Firstly, you'll have a better understanding of what's going wrong if you
indent your HTML :-)

View the source on www.laughing-buddha.net/tmp/spectrum/ - that's your page,
all I've done is added some indents to make it easier to look at.
Immediately you can see that there are two <body> tags (this is technically
wrong but probably won't break the page) and a spurious </td> before your

You also need to remove all those <br> tags: you can't use them directly
inside a <table> or <tr>, so they're being drawn outside the table - this is
what's causing the large space at the top of the page.

The next thing to look at is your table layout. In HTML every row of a table
should have the same amount of cells, but your first row has four and the
next three only have one each.

You need to add more cells to the other rows to balance them out, but if you
don't want four on each row then you can use the "colspan" attribute to
stretch a cell across more than one column. There are some examples of this
in the tables section of the HTML spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1

Once you've made these changes, run the page through the HTML validator at
http://validator.w3.org/ and let us know how you get on.

> Also I would like to take the tilted maroon text and put it under
> the block sections but the layer and div commands don't seem to
> let me do it. I know I'm doing something wrong but I'm not quite
> sure what.

If you're using a table-based layout, you may find it easier to work it into
that somehow. I would suggest, however, that you learn best practice from
day one and start with CSS layouts...

Cheers
Jon