Joseph,

Did the tutorial explain how to create the employees table and add data to it? There is a command line tool (mysql) that lets you login directly to the MySQL server and give it commands.

Here's a tutorial from the MySQL site:
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Tutorial.html

The alternative to the command line is to install a GUI application.
If you want to go this route try DBTools http://www.dbtools.com.br/EN/

HTH,
Sheila

Joseph, Smile Poet wrote:
Thanks Bj and Sheila,

This was cut and paste from a tutor course!    Your variation produced
this:

1146: Table 'mydb.employees' doesn't exist

Which is more confusing than ever.    Since MSDos set up the database
without confirming and was offended when I tried to set it up again, I
assumed the data had also been moved into the db since dos did not say
'error'.   I also had the impression that if the PHP info list didn't
include something it meant that version could not recognise it.
Simple!   What has happened to simple?

But the set up seems also to refuse to recognise a new file until I do
a restart;   I suppose it is the limits of this computer.   Or it
could be some corruption somewhere?    Don't tell me....    it's
something else...

Joseph
Chacha Joe
For a site of laughs and a FREE ezine:
www.smilepoetryweekly.com

It doesn't like the value of $result. Try this.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM employees",$db); if (!$result) {

echo mysql_errno() . ": " . mysql_error(). "<br>\n";

} else {

  printf("First Name: %s<br>\n", mysql_result($result,0,"first"));
  printf("Last Name: %s<br>\n", mysql_result($result,0,"last"));
  printf("Address: %s<br>\n", mysql_result($result,0,"address"));
  printf("Position: %s<br>\n", mysql_result($result,0,"position"));

}

It won't fix the problem but it will give you more information.

Sheila
--
Sheila Fenelon
http://www.shefen.com/

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.