----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Miller"

> This is working OK, except that any https link that
> I try to fopen comes back false, even when I know
> it is a good link. Is there something I need to add
> within the script to allow me to open a secure file?

Ahh.  Hmmm.  What a good question.  Apparently fopen() never used to open
https:// links but:

"As of PHP 4.3.0, if you have compiled in support for OpenSSL, you may use
"https://"; to open an HTTP connection over SSL. "

Further Googling on "php fopen https" gets:

"...Playing with fopen("https://xxx";, "r") it seems that HTTPS is only
supported with OpenSSL AND PHP 4.3 . Older versions of PHP don't seem to be
able to do this. "...

"I just wanted to note that as of php 4.3.3, there is a bug in the
SSL-specific code for mechanisms like fread, fopen, and readfile.  The
symptom of this bug is an extra warning message upon attempting to read a
file over https.  The warning message indicates: "SSL: Fatal protocol
error". There is a patch which fixes this bug.  For more details, please
see:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=23220 "...

"To get the https wrapper working on Windows, you need to replace your
php4ts.dll with the one provided at
http://ftp.proventum.net/pub/php/win32/misc/openssl/. This is instead of
using the php_openssl.dll, so be sure to comment this extension in your
php.ini. "...

Seems like, if you have to accept and check https: links, you need to either
find another way to do it (maybe something really Gothic using Perl) or save
them and check manually!