An array is more of a programming data structure than a DBMS concept.
Typically, data elements might be read from a database (via query) into one
or more arrays, which may then be programmatically manipulated and then,
usually, the transformed data is either output using various methods
(screen, print reports, etc.) or entered back into the database via update
query.

As a data structure, an array is roughly analagous to a series of cells,
each of which is indexed for reference, and each of which (normally, though
not always) holds data of the same type. For example, one could use the
following declaration

Dim MyArray(10) as String

which would declare an array with cells for holding text (character string)
information. At any time one can access the contents of a cell using its
index; e.g. MyArray[6] returns the seventh element of the array (zero-based,
of course). One could then use program control structures to access each
cell by its index, thus

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 to 9
    TestStr = MyArray[i]