Rudy

Thanks for the info. Surprisingly, I am not receiving spam at my [EMAIL PROTECTED], it's my [EMAIL PROTECTED] that has the spam problem. I know that my isp supposedly has a spam block option, but since I tried it and it didn't work well. I think I need to learn more about the spam blocker at pacbell.net before I try to use it again.

Btw, perhaps I'm not getting spam at [EMAIL PROTECTED] because I am using the email cloaking code. The only time I received spam was when I registered my jdvisions.com site with search engines, and, I was using my jdmajor@@pacbell.net as the person to contact. Maybe that's what started the spam.

Anyway, I will learn as much as I can about my isp's anti spam and then try again. If that doesn't work, I will try your suggestion and change my pacbell.net email address.

Jan

rudy wrote:

Do you think you are getting spam from your way of
displaying your email address?

no

i do get occasional spam, as someone pointed out, addressed to "sales" and
"info" and "webmaster" -- these come from people scraping the whois
listings, but this is pretty rare, ever since netsol implemented the
"verification code" to get in (whereby you have to copy a code from a GIF
into a textbox) or alternatively from simply constructing these email
addresses from domain names they get by spidering the web (and my site is
fairly well linked)

as for what you can do about your spam, i'm afraid the best i can suggest is
that you abandon that email address, and start using a new one

this can be as simple as changing from [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] where newname is, obviously, something more
descriptive than "newname"

then once you've informed all your clients, family, and friends, simply turn
[EMAIL PROTECTED] off

one thing that still peeves me is how other people can type an email address, like i've just done above, into the body of an email message that then gets posted onto a *public* archive on the web, where it can be easily scraped

many archives hide or obfuscate the headers, so that you don't see the email
addresses, but few actually do it within the body as well -- evolt and
css-discuss are examples of archives that do a thorough job of protecting
your privacy, and, ahem, wdvltalk is one that does nothing

however, since the wdvltalk archives are behind an html form, they're
relatively safe

and in any case, if anyone wanted to target a specific group, like the web
developers on wdvltalk, all they'd have to do is subscribe, and voila, they
see everyone's email who posts

thus, i use one (throwaway) email -- this one -- to post on discussion
lists, and another -- my r937.com one -- for spam-free email with clients,
etc.

rudy

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.