Joseph, Smile Poet wrote:

This bit seems corrected - I had spaces either side of the '=' (which
I am sure I had dealt with).

This will not cause an error.

$foo = "bar";
and...
$foo="bar";

are the same thing. A space before or after an operator is fine.

But that has brought this:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO) in d:\progs\easyphp1-7\www\insert.php on line 8

The below errors are a result of the above one, since a connection was not established.

Warning: mysql_select_db(): Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
(Using password: NO) in d:\progs\easyphp1-7\www\insert.php on line 9

Warning: mysql_select_db(): A link to the server could not be
established in d:\progs\easyphp1-7\www\insert.php on line 9
failed to select DB

So I am beginning to feel very frustrated;  It seems very difficult to
get a clear, simple description of what is required.   Why is access
denied when no password is in use?    Where does ODBC come into it?

Some code would help me tell you why this is happening, but the error message is telling you the exact problem.

If you call mysql_connect() with no arguments, php will try to connect with the user running the process. If you meant to use ODBC as your user, and sent no password, when that user has a password setup in MySQL, you will get this error. If you set up a user named 'ODBC' in MySQL, you need to reload (restart) MySQL or it will not reconize that user.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-connect.php

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.