This is the page that finally worked - I have had to drop the 'close'
bit:

<?php
$username="root";
$password='';
$database="mydb";
$localhost="127.0.0.1";
mysql_connect($localhost,$username,$password);
mysql_select_db($database) or die('failed to select DB');
$first = $HTTP_POST_VARS["first"];
$last = $HTTP_POST_VARS["last"];
$phone = $HTTP_POST_VARS["phone"];
$mobile = $HTTP_POST_VARS["mobile"];
$fax = $HTTP_POST_VARS["fax"];
$email = $HTTP_POST_VARS["e-mail"];
$web = $HTTP_POST_VARS["web"];
$query="INSERT INTO contacts VALUES
('','$first','$last','$phone','$mobile','$fax','$email','$web')";
$sth = mysql_query($query);
if (!$sth) { die("Query failed : " . mysql_error($sth) ); }

  ?>

Although there were parsing errors I now find most attempts to send
the form info to the table succeeeded.   I now have many rows of
gibberish.

It's the wrong list, but virtual beers - or stronger tipple - all
round.

Thank you.

Joseph