--------------- jac wrote: ---------------

: ... Obviously there's a lot to be done to the
: pages but I don't want to go any further until I get someone
: else's opinion other than my own.

Mozilla 1.6, Win2k Pro

Jac,
  I really think the pages could use a splash of constrasting
color.  Something about the iconography awash in a sea of
maroon lacks 'oomph' to me.  I've also been leaning heavily
toward not having my content stretch to fit the browser window
because it simply is not comfortable for my eyes[scr1], and I
have excellent sight. Here is a passage from "Web Style Guide -
Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites":

----------
The ideal line length for text layout is based on the the
physiology of the human eye... At normal reading distance the
arc of the visual field is only a few inches - about the width
of a well-designed column of text, or about 12 words per line.
Research shows that reading slows and retention rates fall as
line length begins to exceed the ideal width, because the reader
then needs to use the muscles of the eye and neck to track from
the end of one line to the beginning of the next line. If the
eye must traverse great distances on the page, the reader is
easily lost and must hunt for the beginning of the next line.
Quantitative studies show that moderate line lengths
significantly increase the legibility of text.
----------

I also found a great article[1] on this subject.

Now...  The site is solid.  It functions as expected in my
chosen browser and is handled with your usual level of pro-
fessionalism.  I think your client will be happy with it as is,
but it could only do better if it had a bit more color or
perhaps some collaged photographs, etc...

Cheers,
Stephen
http://www.mechavox.com/

[scr1] http://neohero.municode.com/scr/jac-ifg.jpg