On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, 10:56:56 AM, rudy commented:

>> Every month or so, Google makes changes to try to stop the cheating.
>> This is called the Google Dance.

r> oh please

r> that is not what the google dance is

r> of course, we don't really expect the beeb to know search
r> engines, do we...

OK, quit sniping at each other....

FWIW, Google still works for me - I type in "miserable
failure" and get the same stunningly accurate results
whether or not I add in some string of garbage text.

All kidding aside, that search term illustrates the
underlying problems with the Google algorithm (note the key
word that it ties into, as well).

It also illustrates the way to boost rankings in Google --
what you need is a specific key word or phrase, and a good
body of independent web sites that associate a link to your
site with that word or phrase. The strength of Google - and
its weakness - it that a significant part of the ranking
comes from how your site fits within the interlinked world
of the internet.

It might be helpful for someone trying to boost rankings to
do a search on Kartoo <http://www.kartoo.com> - it will show
you basically how the rest of the world sees your site.
Kartoo is a metasearch - it isn't the same as Google - but
ultimately Google (and any other engine) is faced with the
same problem: where to categorize SiteX among the thousands
of sites encountered on search for a given term.

So to anyone who wants to improve rankings in Google, here's
the ultimate advice:
1) Improve your CONTENT so that it is something that people
- even your competitors - will find valuable.
2) Improve your relations with people running other websites
so that many will want to link to you. A link exchange
program is of course helpful, but only if links are
meaningful.

Anything else really is not going to be permanent. That is,
you might as a fluke find your site on the first page of
results, but it's likely to be knocked off by even a trivial
change in algorithm.  For staying power, the site really has
to be hooked into a lot of other sites.

However, as the blog - Google bombing illustrates - this can
be accomplished relatively easily. You don't need 1,000
links or even 100  - Google probably could be manipulated
fairly easily by small consortiums of web site owners who
worked together with a mutual linking scheme.

-Abigail