I guess my first sentence starting with "Hello Dear Group" really
upset the machine.  (I've kept all of the error messages, just in
case.)

Let's try one more time!

Hello dear group,

I'd like to thank you all for your feedback and advice. I've learned a
lot.

For the moment, I guess I've decided to just step away from trying to
help get rid of this sick freak.

For some reason, a few "new" members decided that what I was doing was
useless and to leave this situation alone.

I can't quite figure this out - I'm quite stymied by this reaction
from these new members, but well, I tried and that's what
counts.

You guys tried also and I really appreciate it, very much so.

Thanks again,

Elisa