-----Original Message-----
From: Tristan.Pretty]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 10:20 AM
Subject: [wdvltalk] [OT] Home networking help...

My situation...

I have a wireless connection with 5 computers.
Router - 10.0.1.138
A - Apple Mac - 10.0.1.10
B - Apple Mac - 10.0.1.12
C - PC - XP Pro -       10.0.1.20
D - PC - W2K -  10.0.1.32 (wireless) / 10.0.1.42 (Wired)
E - PC - XP Pro -       10.0.1.30 (wireless) / 10.0.1.40 (Wired)
All are connected wirelessly to the net, via a wireless basestation....

However, as you can see, I have installed an additional ethernet card in
machines D and E. as the wireless network is too slow to strem media
across the network.
I've been recommended to create a network bridge, so I'll try that
tonight, however, I've no idea how to do that in W2K.

So, my questions...

1. How do I create a network bridge in W2K?
2. Why does the wired network card appear to take over internet requests?
3. Any ideas how to improve my network?
4. Have I given way too much info here?

The problem is you have everything on the same network. Tasks will be
executed using the quickest path possible. That means the Ethernet cards for
things between D and E. Based on your description it doesn't sound as if
these cards have access to the internet and that you want it that way.

If D and E are connected via hub (they have to be connected somehow since
they cannot use the wireless station), just change the ip addresses to a
different private network space, probably 192.168.x.x. That will get the
Ethernet off the wireless network addressing scheme. Then you'll connect to
the internet through wireless since it will be the only network which has
such access. You'll also have what amounts to a dedicated link between D and
E for transferring the video. In this case, two card types, two networks.

You can have mixed wireless and wired networks. It just requires more
hardware to fit the pieces together. Bridges are far more expensive than
hubs and harder to maintain as well. If you just want internet access and
fast transfer between the two machines, separate networks will work best and
far more cheaply.

drew