rudy wrote:
Is there not a way that a person could do one or two read instructions and obtain all the records in the different categories in one go?

certainly

select category
, count(*) as test from offers group
by category

Rewriting your original PHP with rudy's SQL:

<?php

   include("includes/dbdetail.inc.php");
   mysql_connect("$servname","$servuser","$servpass");
   mysql_select_db("$dbname");

   $get_cat_counts = 'select category, count(*) as test
                      from offers group by category';

   $result = mysql_query($get_cat_counts);
   while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){
      $count = $row['test'];
      $category = $row['category'];
      echo '<td class="books" width="5%" height="20">&nbsp;';
      echo '</td>';
   }

?>

One thing this does is remove the repeated calls to connect to MySQL. If you had 16 before there will now be just one. There is quite a bit of overhead involved in establishing a connection so that alone will help.

I don't know what's in dbdetail.inc.php so I'm not sure it's in the right place. Also I've added an echo of the category name followed by the count for that category.

Sheila

To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.