Hi Amrit,

On 31 May 2004 17:35:46  (my local time 14:05:46), Amrit Hallan wrote:

AH> [1] Can't BIOS be changed without changing the entire mother
AH> board?

Yes it can be changed. Even if the chip itself is corrupt, it's
possible to change the chip itself if you have experience in these
things.

On a smaller note: bios-attacking virii are running thin these days,
because most of the current virii want to make sure you're online so
they can hijack your internet-connection.

AH> [2] If the BIOS has been affected, shouldn't the entire computer
AH> act weird instead of just the LAN card.

Actually, the chance that your pc would still boot would be quite
slim: a bios is very sensitive so any change would most likely result
in disaster (as in: completely unbootable).

AH> [3] [ when he took away the computer, everything was working ok
AH> but the LAN card ],

It was possible to reboot the pc?

AH> I'd get the whole computer updated in fifteen days

This is too long for a repair: changing a motherboard shouldn't take
more than a day, less than a week if he hasn't got the correct parts.

If he has too much work to finish it witin that time, he should have
left the pc with you.

AH> [4] Should I change my maintenance guy?

I would consider it: suggesting to change a mobo because a lan-card is
acting up isn't a good move imho. This will cost you a lot of money
and shouldn't be necessary (based on the details you've given us).

Some more details would also be usefull: which OS, cpu, mobo, ram
size, lan card and quite important: the name of the virus...

Good luck!

--
 Der Immer Jodelende Schweizer In Lederhosen
 Roel

Predestination was doomed from the start.