From: Smile-Poet [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 7:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [wdvltalk] RE: [OT] freezing in MySQL

Drew,

I have uninstalled everything that has been recently added but there is no
change in the problem.   However I see that a 'hotfix' was installed by M$
on 15 May.    I wonder if uninstalling that might be my answer?    Is it
likely to be affecting any part of a local server, since it seems to be
related to the risk of remote code execution?

The Security bulletin is:

Support Center Could Allow emote Code Execution (840374)<<<<<<<<<<<<<

And the part that may be relevant says:

CAN-2004-0199:
Microsoft has tested the following workarounds. While  these workarounds
will not correct the underlying  vulnerability, they help block known attack
vectors. When a workaround reduces functionality, it is identified below.

      . Unregister the HCP Protocol.
      To help prevent an attack, unregister the HCP Protocol by deleting the
following key from the registry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HCP. To do so, follow
these steps:
           1.  Click Start, and then click Run.
            2.   Type regedit, and then click OK.
            The registry editor program launches.
            3.     Expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, and then highlight the HCP key.
            4.       Right-click the HCP key, and then click
Delete.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

What do you think??

Joseph

> Not so  'Aha...'
>
> Still freezing.    I have removed all the tables except the controlling
> 'mysql'.    Do I need to reinstall the whole bundle of progams (Easyphp
with
> Apache, MySQL and PHP)?    Or just MySQL.   Or is there another answer?
>
> If, with phpMyAdmin, I open a database I can, variably, open none, one,
two,
> or three tables;  but the next table starts to show a limping attempt and
> then freezes.   I can only get back into the databases by restarting the
> machine.
>
> Programs outside the local server do not appear to be affected   The local
> website, Blog and ghostshop all appear to be running (though now moaning
> about the lack of databases).
>
> Joseph

> Take the blog program off not just the tables. If you've done that and I
> simple am misunderstanding, then you van put it all back  and take off the
> Via Voice. One piece at a time so there is no question about where the
> problems lies when it is found.
>
> drew

____ * The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM * ____
To set a personal password send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
words: "set WDVLTALK pw=yourpassword" in the body of the email.