Hi Deb,

> I have a Linksys router.  Plug the cable modem into the router,
> then the router cable goes to the port on the back of the PC.

Sounds good so far, got any spare network ports on the back of the router?

> The laptop has a little card I slide into it when I need it and
> gains access to the Internet from there.

Is this a wired network card (with a socket for a cable) or a wireless card?

> Please explain exactly what the "access point" is so that I
> know for my own info.

It's the other end of the wireless connection from your laptop. It plugs
into your hub/router/switch and gives any wireless equipment something to
talk to - sort of a bridge to your network.

Here's the D-Link I was talking about:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-2100AP

And here's its little brother:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-700AP

Also, you might find this handy - it's a network diagram that hopefully will
give you an idea of how things usually connect to each other:
http://www.laughing-buddha.net/tmp/lan.gif

Note the access point on the right with the wireless connections to the
laptops and the cabled connection to the switch.

There may well be other ways to set up a wireless network, but I haven't
come across them.

> When you say "turn on the access point only when I
> need it" - how do I do that?

It's got a power switch, right? ;-)

> > It's also a nice touch to configure one of your boxes - the
> > best bet is usually the modem - as the DHCP server for your
> > network
>
> It is set up to "Obtain IP addresses automatically" in the
> configuration is that what you mean?

If "it" is the modem, then that means its getting its own IP address from
your ISP (which is perfectly normal) - there should also be a section in the
configuration pages called "DHCP" which is where you need to look.

Don't worry about this, it's not that important and I'm probably confusing
you  :-)

> > However, if you're behind a NAT-equipped ADSL modem
>
> I'm guessing I'm not behind one of those

Do you connect to the Internet via a dial-up connection on your PC? If so
you're definitely not, and you can completely forget about the DHCP stuff
:-)

Any chance you can post the manufacturers' names and model numbers for your
modem and router (and any other networking bits you have)?

Cheers
Jon