Hi gang.

Since I started this polite uproar over how to learn the right way to
compose HTML, XML, CSS, etc. ...

..thanks to all of the many responders and descriptors I've received. Can
barely keep up with it all.

All I have currently is Thomas Powell's amazing compendium WEB DESIGN: THE
COMPLETE REFERENCE, Second Edition, from Osbourne/McGraw Hill, which
contains design and usability guidelines, plus HTML sprinkled liberally
throughout, but not step by step. Is his book HTML: THE COMPLETE REFERENCE
any good? or is it not current with web standards?

When I first read this book way back when, after Jakob Nielsen's works, I
ignored the HTML, since I didn't plan to build any sites. I was just
interested in the design and usability principles in more technical detail
than Nielsen, plus some of the practical considerations and problems
encountered by web designers.

Anyway, I have much to ponder and explore.

[I'm also interested theoretically in bizarre artistic web design
innovations. All I know is John Maeda and his speculations about round web
sites and circular oscilloscope monitors. Verging into sci-fi, oh well.]

I'm going to put up a Disposable Blog Site, full of whatever, just to test a
few widgets, web games, adding code from Technorati and Alexa, etc., then
delete the blog when I'm done experimenting, and put successful items into
my real blog sites, which are acting more as business cards/resumes/writing
sample files for me.

I'm so uninformed, I don't know exactly where to paste code into the main
body of my blog site template code. Technorati says paste it where your RSS
feeds and such are, but I don't yet have those things. Afraid if I put it in
the wrong place, it'll vanish down the digital toilet.

Steven Streight

STREIGHT SITE SYSTEMS
Web Usability Analysis,
Credibility Assessment
& Content Writing

STREIGHT TECHNICAL COMMUNICATIONS
Direct Marketing and Online Writing Services

mailto: astreight at msn dot com

Usability Information Site:
http://www.vaspersthegrate.blogspot.com

Web User Research Center: