You're absolutely correct, and that's the basic idea of what I originally
thought I was getting into (i.e., building a Web app to correspond to the
equivalent 5250 app). The fundamental problem is, we can't do it that way.
The app itself is some 12-13 years old, has thousands of users worldwide,
has hundreds of pages ("screens") and was developed and has been updated and
maintained using a modeling (CASE) tool that generates RPG from the model.
If we were to try to build a separate Web app which exactly duplicates the
functionality of the 5250 app, with all the country-specific customizations,
all the F-keys, line options keys, etc. which vary from screen to screen,
(so as to allow our users to continue using their training and experience
with the system) it would be, first of all, quite a great deal larger an
undertaking than using the WebOptions tool (developed by the manufacturer of
the CASE tool) to convert the existing app, despite WebOptions' current
limitations.

Secondly, and even more importantly, like any global application of its
kind, in use around the world in scores of languages and commercial
environments, it is a living application undergoing modification and
adaptation over time as customers' needs and local requirements change. Try
to imagine developing a Web app localized for literally scores of languages
and character sets (something the 400 and the CASE tool handle quite well at
the moment), and then consider the issues of change management involved in
trying to keep both apps in sync over time. It boggles the mind.

Despite the current limitations of the WebOptions tool, it is gradually
getting better (a lot of that is because of our feedback to the developers;
we're probably the heaviest user of the tool among their customers). In
fact, a new version goes GA sometime this month (unless they bump the
schedule again--we just reported three more issues this afternoon ;-), and
we've been using the beta of the current upgrade for the last four months,
working around issues until they address them. The great advantage of using
the tool, of course, is that change management with two parallel apps is not
an issue. Once we get the Markup Language Skeletons built and gen all the
corresponding HTML pages, the CASE tool can be used to change the model at
will and our app still works. Oh, there may be an occasional instance where
a field's screen offset (which is its identifier in the 400 app--e.g f_0345
is the field beginning at character 25 on the fifth row) changes and we have
to go in and tweak a template or two, but nothing like the monumental issues
involved in keeping two independent apps in sync.

Cheers,
Scott