Thanks Andrew,

I did finally solve it, but am bemused by the effects of 'block';  I left
out extraneous gifs which had behaved, but then sat between the slices
(transparent so it took a long time to work it out.    (more below)

> I have exhausted all my knowledge - and then some - trying to get this
> sliced graphic to sit together in the top corner of the site container.
>

> Anyone able to direct me to the solution;  page is here
> http://www.smilepoetryweekly.com/trial_3_col_layout.htm
>
> many thanks
>
> Joseph Harris
>
> Joseph,
>
> You need to run this through the validator which will point out that you
> have no type set for your style statement.

Ah!   I kept seeing it and not acting - thanks .

In one sense, this doesn't matter
> since your doctype is incomplete and throws the page into quirks mode,
which
> paradoxically means a browser can use it's error handling to guess at what
> you meant to use for a type of style and hence can apply your "text/css"
> type even when not given. For the full transitional doctype see:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/sgml/loosedtd.html
>

> Also, you'll notice you get errors about the alt attribute. You need to
> include this for the images, even if it just as alt="".

Yes to that too.   I will be working on it.

> An interesting inclusion with elevation

I was trying to find how to get the gifs to sit over the rest (blushes!).
Making more progress;  soon be linking with php!!

 for the logo id. You have an aural
> browser you are testing with? What is it? I'd like to give a listen.
>
> drew
>
> Once that is fixed you may find it easier to solve the problem.

Thanks again drew,

Joseph