Well, I've taken out the 3.99GB file (a load off C drive's mind) and AVG
seems to be working fine.   So, if anyone else has a giant file of this
sort, it seems worth checking whether to delete it.

Joseph Harris    (I couldn't work out for a while why the folders in 'C'
didn't add up to the total used on the drive.    That led me to checking all
the 'loose' files;   the rest is a minor footnote of history)     ;-)