Mary,

I swear these machines get more human by the hour.   I switched on the
laptop to start going through all the suggestions, and lo!  behold! the
modem dialled and one ISP worked;   the other, the first to be used, didn't!
But a new connectoid for it did (So that file had got corrupted, but that
wasn't the original problem).

Then Zone Alarm wouldn't restart and had to be repaired before it would
operate.   Now all seems well.

So which original problem got corrected I don't know.   But I must have done
something right  -- and not too much wrong  ;-)

Many thanks to you and to the others who offered advice.

Joseph

> Joseph,
>
> Just went through this today with my mother's pc!
>
> http://www.modemhelp.net/dunerror/error_676.shtml
>
> Error 676
>
> 1.  Make sure the number they are dialing into is correct.  Check dial
> prefixes, long distance, etc.
>
> 2.  If they get a modem tone it may be a modem issue.  Check for updated
> drivers and try inits.
>
> 3.  Try the number, is it busy?  Is there a POP problem?
>
> 4.  Is RNAAPP getting stuck?  If so, refer to the RNAAPP! help page.
>
> My mother was freaking. She thought her modem went out. When all it was is
> that she needed a new pop to dial into!
>
> First of all, dial the number your computer is dialing from the handset
and
> see if you can hear a busy signal or modem tone through the same phone
jack
> the computer is using. This way you'll know the phone line the computer is
> on is working or not!
>
> Secondly, try dialing the pop through the second jack on the modem card in
> the back of your pc. This will tell you whether the modem is functioning
or
> not. The reason most modem cards have 2 jacks is so you can plug an extra
> phone into the back of the pc and use it just like the phone jack in the
> wall. You don't loose complete access to the phone jack for the phone!
>
> If you hear a modem tone, you dun should be working. If you hear a busy
> signal, you need a new pop.
>
> If the dun is still not working, try accessing the internet through the
dun
> with the firewall turned off.  That way you know for a fact if it is
> blocking the dun access or not....
>
> Which OS is your computer? Windows XP?
>
> Let me know how this goes! I'll probably check back in on this tomorrow
> evening, as I get up at 3am to be at work by 5 am. So I am calling it a
> night! Good Luck!
>
> Mary Rusinko - Omaha, Nebraska, USA

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
http://e-newsletters.internet.com/discussionlists.html/
>        Send Your Posts To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
> To change subscription settings, add a password or view the web interface:
> http://intm-dl.sparklist.com/read/?forum=wdvltalk

[EMAIL PROTECTED]