Cheryl,

As I read Bj's response (thanks Bj) this was exactly where my mind was
going.   (Must be careful not to let it out of sight and lose it)

It seems that it might be a good place to put passwords and things, maybe do
a temporary store of mail and have a facility to pass files back and forth
(Only one computer will effectively have a scanner, and probably a printer.
I don't think the other users will need the big one's  processing power, so
I wouldn't be thinking of Bj's worst option.)

If it was a staging post for mails I suppose the accounts would be with the
intranet server, and that server would have to have all the web passwords?
That is a disadvantage with spam, and I use mailwasher and some web
addresses to minimise effort with those at the moment.

I take it all down/up loads would have a temporary home on that server as it
went on its merry way.   I was wondering how that might be used.   Is it
possible - like an outbox folder - to have matter queued on the server
waiting for connection?

Could it, perhaps through a USB HDD, become a back-up facility?   Does
trying to do so much risk overloading it with programs and processing
activity, thus slowing the web connection?

I take it controlling it is like running a website, and could even make it a
most effective localhost.   And could it become an smtp server, or is that
an ambition beyond my sanity?   (I suppose if it is not online all the time
replies would be bounced which can't be good;  but perhaps all replies can
be to other boxes.)

Since it would not be wanted online all the time is that control easy?

Sorry, this is turning into a total study of doing intranets, but I really
wanted to have advice before I even got near the practical starting block.
And I already have phone extension wires to all but one likely location,
whould these be useable or is it a whole new wire game.

Joseph Harris

> Joseph,
>
> What do you want to your server to do? Start from there and then we can
> recommend specs.
>
> Cheryl D. Wise
> Certified Professional Web Developer
> Microsoft FrontPage MVP
> http://wiserways.com
> Office: 713-353-0139

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
http://e-newsletters.internet.com/discussionlists.html/
>        Send Your Posts To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
> To change subscription settings, add a password or view the web interface:
> http://intm-dl.sparklist.com/read/?forum=wdvltalk

[EMAIL PROTECTED]