-----Original Message-----
From: Krawec, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 9:17 AM
To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
Subject: RE:[wdvltalk] Weird table colspan issue

Stephen

It's weirder than you might have thought.  Just had a look at that page in
FF 1.0.2 - displays as you described.  In IE 6.0 - there's blank space
beside the house image in both tables.  In Opera 7.23 - there's a blank
space beside the house image in both tables, plus a break in the line that
forms the bottom border of the table.  I'll send screen shots directly to
you.

Not as good as an answer, I'll admit, but hopefully helpful anyway...

Mark

Yikie tykies, Stephen!

I think the problem is with the display of the table. You are using the
default -- automatic layout. This leads to weird math. Cell widths are based
on Minimum Content Width (MCW) unless there is a supervening specific cell
width as is the case for row 2, cell 2 (505px), and/or if there is an inline
width as in your image. Talk about compounding variables! Why 2 different
resolutions of the same layout. Perhaps this note sums it up best:

Note. In this algorithm, rows (and row groups) and columns (and column
groups) both constrain and are constrained by the dimensions of the cells
they contain. Setting the width of a column may indirectly influence the
height of a row, and vice versa.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#x2

I interpret that to mean: six of one, half a dozen of the other and good
luck buddy.

I changed the layout to table{table-display: fixed;} and the results were
reliable if not exactly what you wanted. That includes removing the 4 cell
line in the second table. The column width is 149px more or less, give or
take (595 divided by 4 and fudged). Who knows how your server and browser
will render them.

drew