To: <wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:10 PM
Subject: RE: [wdvltalk] Serious hard drive problem

I've used that to recover some critical data before. It was a major pain but
it did get the file I needed. I don't know how well it would work for
recovering an entire drive.

I have seen utilities that would repair a master boot record without killing
the disk but I haven't need one in so long that I haven't a clue what the
one I used in the Windows 98 days was called.

There used to be a program called "partition magic" that would let you
resize a partition without damaging the data then format and install the OS
just on part of the drive.

I wonder if Paragon's hard disk manager would do any good since you can boot
off of a cd with it then work on the disk separately
http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/f_fm.htm

Cheryl D. Wise
Certified Professional Web Developer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://wiserways.com
Office: 713-353-0139

-----Original Messa

Thank you! I woulds love to try that utility. It makes sense that it has a
chance of working!

Diane

Ross Clutterbuck wrote:

Diane:

Sounds like the File Allocation Table might have gone the way of the
Dodo but for the life of me I can't remember if it's possible to
rebuild a FAT without killing the data.

One thing I would suggest is try booting into pure DOS and see if you
can read off the disk. I have a utility here called NTFSDOS which
allows the reading of NTFS drives within DOS. I can e-mail it to you
off list if you wish and see if you have any joy accessing the drive.

I'll have a looksie around and let you know if I can think of anything.

____ . The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM . ____

____ • The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM • ____ To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or use the web interface http://e-newsletters.internet.com/discussionlists.html/ Send Your Posts To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com To change subscription settings, add a password or view the web interface: http://intm-dl.sparklist.com/read/?forum=wdvltalk