----- Original Message -----
From: "loren wolsiffer" <>
To: <wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 2:54 PM
Subject: [wdvltalk] Apache server path

> My www server has a path like this
> /home/mydomain/public_html/
>
> On my local host the server path is
> c:\website\mydomain\
>
> which I want to change to match my www server path.
>
> In my httpd.conf file I have tried this
>
> DocumentRoot "C:\website"
> Alias C:/website /home/mydomain/public_html/
> <Directory "/home/mydomain/public_html/">
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> which does not work

there is an extra space between webite/home:

te /home

You didn't mention which version of Apache you are using, it's usually
important, following for 2.0 not using aliases, but virtual hosts instead
for a development server on a local box.

This goes above your VH directives:

NameVirtualHost *:80

then:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    DocumentRoot C:/website/home/mydomain/public_html/
    ServerName yourvirtualdomain.com (don't use the "www")
    ErrorLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

In your Windows hosts file, add the domain name:

127.0.0.1 localhost yourvirtualdomain.com

Restart Apache, you should be good to go. Access the local file by by not
using the www:
http://yourvirtualdomain.com and the live one with:
http://www.yourvirtualdomain.com

Aliases not needed now, includes work as expected, least ways that's how I
do it, works for me etc. :-)

Most problems can be figured out within the error logs for Apache, if this
isn't a typo as I suspect, then check those, and get back to the list with
the error(s) reported, much more helpful and not as much guessing.

hth!

cheers,

        Mark