On Saturday 04 June 2005 06:34 pm, you wrote:
> well I tend not to bother with pixel perfect anyway, considering the
> permutations that are available to the user these days, I am happy if the
> layouts don't break when they are zoomed to say 600%, but the practice
> discussed in the first article, I had been in effect ( but not as
> efficiently ) using for sometime as a very pragmatic design aid.
>
> There are of course occasions when pixel perfect is needed, just that I
> don't have that requirement.......however consider this: By removing the
> browser defaults you are in fact empowering the user by allowing them to
> write more of their own rules....[ obviously there is a practical limit to
> this: would you want the header of every page to be displayed? - perhaps
> not, although one could make a case for meta information to be displayed in
> some instances eg academic or library users...]

I wouldn't have any need to remove browser defaults for the user at all. The
user can do  that should she want. My obligation as an author is to write a
page which respects the definition of elements (nontable layout, not using
headers for visual effects, etc) so that the page content can be accurately
reflected by user agents and rendered in a pleasing, even if not duplicative,
manner across a wide range of browsers. And also to use such RDF resources
such as the meta tags you mentioned  to provide machines with uri's which the
end user can use to validate, in terms of the end users standards, the
content of my page. In other words to write a semantic page.

What concerns me is the at times overwhelming focus on making standards design
as visually obsessed as table layouts are.  I'm afraid content is getting
lost in presentation, again. I know lists like this focus on the issue of
appearance but at times it seems overdone in the quest for a pixel here and
there.

The purpose of the semantic web is to make it possible for machines to
accurately reflect the content of a page not to make flawless reproductions
of pages across browsers or other devices which implement things in different
manners. It provides a chance to shed the obsession by recognizing that
vendors do things differently and that standards provide a way to bridge
those differences in an acceptable manner.

The whole idea is to make it possible for a user to find what they are looking
for without having a search result based on a  mysterious proprietary
algorithm. SEO tricks are as bad a practice as having to hack and hack or
browser sniffing.

I recognize that for large commercial entities, such tricks will continue. But
such sites aren't likely to ever be fully a part of the semantic web. Their
name/brand is known. They have little interest, it seems to me, in providing
meaningful RDF information or in using standards for valid page construction.
And it seems unlikely that browser makers will force the issue. Quirks mode
will remain available.  It's the lesser and unknown sites, then, which
benefit from the semantic web.  And of course the end users who can find the
information on those sites in a transparent manner.

So development of the semantic web will be somewhat uneven and at times
marginal.
drew

____ � The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM � ____