Is this script running as a cron or through the command line? If not then you need to set the content type declaration -
i.e.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI;
$query = new CGI;
print $query->header;
print "Hello World";

#ship.cgi

( or instead of using CGI use [ the CGI library is a standard part of Perl now, so there is nothing additional to install ]
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

that way the server knows to output it as html to the browser)

Portman wrote:

Hi all,

I am attempting to write a perl script that runs from my client's cgi-bin. The problem is that no matter what file I run from there, I get a 500 server error. I uploaded the file in ascii, checked the permissions and debugged it on my machine and there is still a problem. Any ideas?
TIA,
Riva
P.S. Code (I got desperate and cut it down to this just to get it to work) is:
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Hello World!";

# ship.cgi

To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or use the web interface http://e-newsletters.internet.com/discussionlists.html/

You are currently subscribed to wdvltalk as: unknown lmsubst tag argument: ''