I am looknig for a perl equivalent / instructions on making a perl version of the PHP md5_file to calculate MD5 checksums for files as they are uploaded to a customers website. I am writing and administration backend for the customer, and am using perl for most of the script operations. The customer is able to modify a catalogue of items and upload photos for the items very easily - I want to add a checksum feature to the edit scripts ( perl ) that will calculate the md5 of each file uploaded and warn the administrator if any have been changed. I know how to do it in PHP, but the only way I have found to do it in perl is with an addon perl module ( Digest::MD5::File ) that I do not have permissions to install on the hosting webserver. I could probably port the script to PHP and forget about it but I would like to know any alternatives as I am building my perl knowledge.

Thanks for any help in advance

Charles King