Patrick,
The php scripts run as "www" on the webserver, but the directories are owned by "steve" and I believe that group is "wheel". I don't really have access to be able to change all the file owners. The problem is that I need "www" to have "write" permission, which means that the whole web can do so as well. I have noticed that this same issue is present in popular opensource applications, like osCommerce, which is actually where I had the problem. Their images file needs "write" permission to receive new product images when you upload them. Someone installed a shell program in it!!

I have been advised that I may have to run php as a cgi in order to protect the directories...

thanks