From: Portman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 24 February 2006 16:53
To: wdvltalk@lists.wdvl.com
Subject: Re: [wdvltalk] wdvltalk: Better email link

I know you can put a subject in the link too (<a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&subject=This%20is%20not%20spam">  -
not sure if the syntax is 100% correct).  The thing is, if you get a
spam program scouring the internet looking for e-mail addresses, the
spam will have the same subject line.  I put up a website once with a
membership form.  Some spam program got a hold of the page and I got 20
e-mails per minute.

I have seen where people use a JavaScript to display the e-mail on the
webpage, but the code doesn't have the e-mail address in it for spam
programs to find.  If you are interested I can send it to you.

HTH,
Riva

Randy (PeterPan) wrote:
> I run a VERY popular website and want to continue to keep one main
> email address easily accessible. To help with the obvious SPAM, my
> hosting company provides SPAM Assassin, and I have them delete obvious
> SPAM. But I don't want too aggressive a filter because sometimes it
> traps good mail too and besides, the SPAMMERS can come up with 1000
> ways to spell the "V" word to get through any filter. So what I'd like
> to do is the opposite... do something with my email link to cause
> something to be embedded in the email, so I can "reverse filter" it in
> my email client. In other words, if it has a certain keyword in the
> subject line, it's more likely from an actual visitor, and everything
> without the keyword can be filtered to a "possibly junk" folder. So my
> question is, is there anything I can do to a typical "mailto:"; email
> link (like the one below) to make it add some special key word to the
> subject line, or some other invisible email field?

____ . The WDVL Discussion List from WDVL.COM . ____
To Join wdvltalk, Send An Email To:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] or
use the web interface