Steve,

We have several Dell laptops running IE6 and Win XP in our household -- some
with separate audio cards and some with 'built-in'.

When I click on 'Sound and Audio Devices' in Control Panel on my Dell
Latitude c640, I see Crystal WDM Audio as the device / driver.

On my daughter's new Inspiron, it says SigmaTel Audio.

When I click on the tab that says Audio at the top of the "Sound and Audio
Devices" popup, the bottom entry on that tab says: Midi music playback.
There is a single value in the dropdown list which is:  Microsoft GS
Wavetable SW Synth.

There is a volume button below that dropdown and when you click on it, the
volume controls for the audio setup show up.  The top of one of those
columns is titled SW Synth.

I'm no expert but I would start with that and make sure that the SW Synth
volume isn't set to 0.

I did go to your web link and had no problem adjusting the volume on my
laptop.

Ann